A statement from her team said the Japanese champion was “taking some personal time with friends and family.”
“She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans.”
BREAKING: Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon.
A statement from her team says: “Naomi won’t be playing Wimbledon this year. She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans.”
— Stuart Fraser (@stu_fraser) June 17, 2021
Osaka withdrew from the French Open last month following criticism of her decision not to speak to press at the tournament. She cited her mental health as the reason for her withdrawal.
Grand Slam organisers warned that she could face penalties and expulsion if she continued to ignore the media. The 23-year-old was fined $15,000 for refusing to speak to journalists after her first match at Roland Garros.
Earlier, Rafael Nadal also announced his decision to skip this year’s Wimbledon tournament, as well as the Tokyo Olympics.
“It’s never an easy decision to take but after listening to my body and discussing it with my team I understand that it the right decision.” He wrote on Twitter.
“The goal is to prolong my career and continue to do what makes me happy; that is to compete at the highest level and keep fighting for those professional and personal goals at the maximum level of competition.”
Hi all, I have decided not to participate at this year’s Championships at Wimbledon and the Olympic Games in Tokyo. It’s never an easy decision to take but after listening to my body and discuss it with my team I understand that it is the right decision
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) June 17, 2021
You can find more celebrity news on our website.